Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:52:43 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_mux hack?

> I saw something in Lin*x that got me thinking....
>
> How does this sound for a crude hack to get multiple slip/ppp/hdlc links
> working in a load-sharing arrangement:
>
> Create a stub if_mux that only accepts packets from IP, and
> redistributes them to other interfaces that it's been told about below
> it.  Ie: it's if_output routine would take the packets and distribute
> them to other interface's if_output routines below it.
>
> Incoming packets from the lower interfaces would still go direct to IP,
> but that's no big deal.

Perhaps it needs to trace the state of "lower" interfaces and stop to
exclude interface from the balancing when it goes down (and restore
when it goes up). And it needs to look at sizes
of queues of "lower" interfaces and put the packet to the one with the
shortest queue for some load balancing.

> Sound interesting?  Is it a "worthy hack"?  (especially since Linux has
> something like it.. :-)

Yes!

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia