Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:38:18 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Ryan D <gawynn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wine setup...

Ryan D wrote:

> I have installed WINE on my server and configured it but I'm still getting
> some errors when I 'run' it by typing 'wine'. I'm telneting into the server
> and doing this, and below are the errors i get. Do I need to be running a
> command through wine to get rid of these?
> I would hope that specifying win95 with the command would remove the no
> display specified error, but I have no drive x in wine.conf, nor any
> reference too it there.
>
> Warning: could not find wine.conf [Drive x] entry for current working
> directory /usr/local/etc; starting in windows directory.
> wine: no display specified

I can only wonder what windows program you put in /usr/local/etc...

Anyway, the first error is stating that your wine.conf file doesn't have
/usr/local/etc (or /usr/local or /usr) defined as a drive in your
wine.conf file.  Edit your .winerc (IIRC) or copy the system default to
your home and rename it to .winerc and edit that.   The file is pretty
self explanatory.

The second error isn't a Wine error, it is an X error.  Wine cannot find
an X session to run on.  This probably means you are either on the
console of the machine, or you telnetted in.  What you need to do is set
your X display environment variable to the X session you are currently
running.  Say for instance you telnetted in from machine foo, then you
would set the variable DISPLAY to foo:0.0.  If you are on the console,
you need to start your X session before you can run wine, type "startx"
at the prompt (you may need to configure your X server before doing
this.  Configuring the X server is covered in the handbook.