Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:15:16 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly article: Whence the Source: Untangling the Open Source/Free Software Debate

At 01:00 PM 3/11/99 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>I think we're still looking for a marketing person who doesn't manage
>to offend quite so many people, to absolutely frank about it.

The only people I seem to have offended were those whose toes I've
stepped on unknowingly -- or people who identify anyone with whom
they do not agree as an enemy. I don't know if it's possible to
avoid those kinds of slights and still be able to take a stand
about anything at all!

>You're quite effective at marketing, Brett, but your history at inspiring
>both love and hate has swung just a little too far in each direction

That's the problem. In my experience, whenever you embrace a strong
viewpoint and sticks to yer guns, thems that loves ya will really loves
ya, and thems that hates ya wills hates yer guts ferever. ;-)

I didn't say that I wanted to be the spokesman -- just a coordinator
and/or an active member/leader of one or more of the teams. I'd be glad
to push toward the podium some spokesman other than me who seem to be
able to turn away wrath more effectively.

--Brett