Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:30:03 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Per-process memory overhead

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Can someone please explain to me why the following trivial program
> shows up on both a `ps' listing and also when using `top' as having
> a size of 136 KB?

I can't tell you exactly where this is all going but on one hand
the runtime environment needs some memory as workspace and also the os
needs some memory per process.

Processes are NOT very lightweit under unix.

You will want to look into some thread support for running lots of small
processes.

Greetings
Christian

--