Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 02:36:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steve Kargl)
Cc:        ckempf@enigami.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compilers: 2.8.1 v 2.7.2.1?

> gcc is too crucial to haphazardly upgrade until its stability is well
> understood.  Since 2.8.1 has only been out for a few weeks, I wouldn't
> look for an update to occur any time soon.  (I could be wrong, Peter, jdp?)
> As a point in case, 2.8.1 appeared with a week or two of 2.8.0.
>
> Additionally, if I understand the situation, 2.8.1 probably does not
> contain the necesssary files to compile a.out format.

Bullocks.  8-).  The a.out problems are that you can't make a.out
using the FSF binutils, not that you can't make a.out with the
FreeBSD ld program *not* from binutils.

Exceptions will not work with pthreads unless you are running 2.8.x
g++ or better.  This is as good a reason as any

The compiler should be upgraded, but the ld should be the FreeBSD one,
and the binutils should go into the other directory (they are needed
for ELF, but won't work for a.out, unless someone adds FreeBSD a.out
support to the binutils version of the code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.