Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:10:57 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cleaning a text file

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 01:01:12AM -0800, rick hamell wrote:

> > Is there some simple unix way to either
> > check that all funny characters have been removed,
> > or better,
> > to get a list of the characters that might still need replacing?
>
> 	Sue, a quick a dirty way I've been using is to email it as a text
> message back to myself using pine. Save and edit off the headers and
> it'll be about 99% complete. Usually you see those funky characters
> because they cut and paste from Word for Windows into their E-mail program.

Thanks Rick, that's a great idea and I have some uses for it!

Unfortunately in this case 99% is nowhere near good enough. It has to
go through screen readers and speech synthesisers, Mac, OS/2, and
whatever hairbrained system someone might try it on, and be perfect.
Also, this file has some very long lines which would get truncated
or unexpectedly wrapped when sent as email. And if there is something
strange, I have to read it and guess what it should have been.

Maybe someone will come up with something for this particular case.
I can't believe there's not some little untility for this that's been
hanging around unloved for years.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-