Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS hardware needs under 2.2.7

Hello FreeBSDaemons!

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Roman Katsnelson wrote:

> We are migrating all our Internet-related servers from Solaris to
> FreeBSD. I've already moved the news and web servers, and DNS is next.
> Here's my question: does DNS require a separate machine, or are its
> resource requirements rather small? The web server runs on a Pentium 2
> 266/128M/4G IDE. Should I run BIND on that or build its own server? Any
> input much appreciated as always.

-------------
SHORT ANSWER:
-------------
  Run BIND on your existing hardware. Monitor the activity
of that server, perhaps with 'top'. Make changes if necessary.
(Other 'BSDaemons' might wish to add their suggestions for monitoring
the load).

-----------
DISCUSSION:
-----------
  I run (2) separate FreeBSD machines, each identical and similar to
yours. Each runs BIND 8.1.2. One runs our Web Server, another runs
our Sendmail/POP/IMAP servers. (One BIND is Master, other is Slave).
  The complete and thorought answer to your question depends upon the load
that your servers will experience.
  DNS does not require much CPU nor bandwidth to process an individual
request. I think it is negligible compared to WEB and NEWS servers.
It seems very reasonable to combine DNS with other software servers on the
same hardware, from a resource standpoint.
  Of course, the proof of any thinking is in the doing. Try it and see.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat