Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:10:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jim Manley <jmanley@metronet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic:page faults

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Jim Manley wrote:
> My FBSD 3.3-stable box has started to panic with page faults upon reboot.
> When I reboot the box, it goes through the probe upto the point where it
> waits for the SCSI devices to settle then, WHAM -- page fault, panic, reboot.
>
> fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> fault virtual address	= 0x1c
> fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc011ca61
> stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc0232328
> frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc02323b4
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			= dpl 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, iopl=0
> current process	= idle
> interrupt mask	=
> trap number		= 12
> panic: page fault
>
> Am I looking at a hardware problem here (i.e, bad simm)?  I haven't changed
> hardware configuration of the box in several months.

	Its possible.  I'm not expert on this sort of thing, but I used to
have a K5 based system that could only reach uptimes of 3 to 20 days.
(You should have seen the look on my friend's face when I complained about
this to him....  "Only?!?")  I often found slight typos in the source code
of the kernel or a port that I was installing.  Usually it was
something like a ^L taking the place of the correct letter.  I dealt with
this for months and then tried to diagnose it but ended up only
discovering that my computer was unable to cold boot anymore.

	You might want to test a different hard drive, SCSI controller,
SIMM or DIMM, and/or mother board, just to see if the problem stops.
Alternately, it might be a partitioning or disk label problem, which the
hard drive swap would also fix.  Of course, if it was a bad software
config, the hard drive swap would fix that, too.  :)  Anyway, point was
that it *might* be hardware.  I can't offer much advise, only my previous
experiences.

						Good luck,
						Jaime