Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 12:21:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de (New User)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration of a window manager

New User is responsible for:
> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Mon May 12 12:15:15 1997
> To: "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Configuration of a window manager
> Date: Mon, 12 May 97 18:57:49 -0500
> From: New User <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> -- [ From: New User * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>

> I've heard about an X window manager with Win95 look (fvwm95-2(?)) and I
> don't know how to install it.
>  1. Into which directory do I have to copy its files?
>  2. And which additional configurations are to be made?
>
> Please try to explain it in a very easy way since I'm a FreeBSD user for
> only two weeks.

If your system has any sort of internet connectivity and you
installed the ports collection, you'll have to
1) login as root.
2) change directory to /usr/ports/x11/fvwm95 by typing
	cd /usr/ports/x11/fvwm95
3) type
	make
4) wait a while (the distribution tarball may have to be downloaded)
5) (maybe needed, maybe not) type
	rehash
6) start up X, kill whatever window manager is running (try
	ps -ax | grep wm
and look for processes like with names like twm.
7) type fvwm95

You'll probably want to adjust your .xsession (or .xinitrc) to make
fvwm95 your standard window manager (if you like it).  fvwm95 creeps
me out, but that's just me.