Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:54:21 +1000
From:      Neal Nelson <neal@nelson.name>
To:        Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disc Problems

On 2002.09.19 17:58 Axel Simon wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:21:13AM +1000, Neal Nelson wrote:
> > I'm having problems with one of my discs when I do a cvsup (on
> -STABLE
> > as of last week). I get the following:
> >
> <something really bad here>
>
> Does your disc have propper ventilation? That is usually the case why
> discs die slowly...
>
> Axel.

I think you may have something there, as it's the bottom disc of two in
a rather tight 3.5" rack down the bottom of my case. There's no space
between the drives to speak of but there is a fan sucking air in just
below that. The top disc has been running fine for a few years now
without problems.

Maybe it's time to get a better ventilated case. The one I have is very
tall but seems rather cramped inside. I wonder if putting the drives in
a 5.25" slot with an adaptor would be better as they'd have more air
space or even in one of those drive coolers that fit into a 5.25" slot.
Mind you, I'd need a bigger case then.