Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:23:20 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Dimitrijevic Milena <milenad@videotron.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

Dimitrijevic Milena schrieb:

> Hello,
>
>     I read the installation guide, and it said that I have to make sure
> that my root partition is below 1024 cylinders...
>
>     The thing is that I have Win98 installed on my first Primary
> partition and I've created a Logical partition for FreeBSD... and it's
> not written anywhere if it will work or must it absolutely be teh first
> Primary partition to install FreeBSD???

A "logical" partition is not a real partition. FreeBSD needs one of your
for primary partition table entries. You may delete _all_ logical
partitions along with the primary partition containing all the logical
partitions. After doing so, FreeBSD will install into the free disk
space.

Some BIOSes are not able to start an operating system located beyond the
1023rd cylinder, thus the free space on your disk has to start before
that invisible border.

HTH
-Christoph Sold