Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:29:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot.flp doesn't

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > it looks like the loader doesn't understand a gzipped kernel.
>
> Yeah, it also looks like we're going to be out of the release business
> for awhile.  We've hit another space crunch and I'm not yet sure
> what to do about it.

How much space is needed? We still have some options left:

* replace sh with either pdksh (smaller) or something much much more
primitive, and assume that people who want shell will get it on the
fixit.flp,

* replace tar.sh, find, cpio with small C proggy - I have one, which came
with sash (StandAlone Shell). It needs some tweaks to cooperate with
minigzip, but they are trivial. Its copyright is also acceptable
(copyrighted but free, period). Its size is around 8kB or similar.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/