Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:46:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: migrate from postfix to qmail

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:47:09 +0200 Lotfi kecir wrote:

> hello. i'm newbbie in Unix especially in in FreeBSD. Recently i have setup
> one mail server with postfix-dovecot and i would like to migrate it to Qmail
> server. but i didn't know how to do it. Someone can give help me?

Why in heaven's name would *anyone* want to do that? I have been using
Postfix for years now and before that I used qmail - when it was new.
qmail sucked *bigtime*! It was slow, picky about the filesystem it worked
on (ReiserFS cause very interresting results), a license that doesn't
deserve the name and one mistake in the configuration didn't cause an
error message but instead sent incoming mail directly to the happy bit
grounds.

qmail has not really been maintained by the Author over the last few years
and although it is distributed in source, changes to it are not allowed,
if you plan to distribute the result. This means that in order for qmail
to still work today, there is an insane amount of patches out there that
have to be applied.

IMHO using qmail instead of Postfix is a gigantic step right back into the
stone age. Say hello to the dinos for me! :-)

Regards,
Chris