Date:      Wed, 4 May 2016 09:23:01 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with objcopy corrupting section names

On 2 May 2016 at 18:25, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net> wrote:

> I've run into a weird problem where the section names are seemingly being corrupted for boot1. The process to reproduce this should be simple: just build boot1 and then do objdump -x boot1.efi and you should see that the section names are corrupted.

This could well be a bug in elfcopy's libpe - it's a new addition to
the ELF Tool Chain project, and I have not tested it extensively
outside of the plain boot1.efi and loader.efi. To confirm my
understanding, this happens with your patched tree, but not stock
FreeBSD? Also, in what way are they corrupted? It's expected that
section will be truncated, as the COFF format only supports char[8]
for the name.

If you mail me (off-list) a copy of boot1.sym I'll take a look.