Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:37:53 +0100
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spammers harvesting emaill address from this list

On Thursday 23 August 2007, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Thursday, August 23, 2007 20:06:47 +0100 dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 August 2007, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> >> For this list (freebsd-questions@) in particular it is intentionally a=
nd
> >> explicitly the case that one does not need to be subscribed to post
> >> here. This is because it is the main support forum for FreeBSD, and mu=
ch
> >> documentation exists directing people to ask their questions here.
> >
> > This does, in fact, open up a distinct possibility for list subscribers
> > who =A0want to stop their address being harvested.
> >
> > Subscribe to the list with one email address such that one receives the
> > list =A0emails but post to the list with =A0a different address.
>
> Basically, what you (and others as well) are suggesting is that the list
> maintainers do double the work so that you don't have to bother with spam
> filtering.

How does this equate to double the work for the list maintainers?  I've nev=
er=20
operated a mailing list so I don't understand what work is involved in=20
operating one or how that workload might be increased if some people post=20
with one name while having the automated system mail out to a different,=20
subscribed address

> Seems rather self-centered to me.

In what way?

> This is the internet. =A0Spam is endemic.

So rather than look for multiple methods to reduce the amount of incoming t=
o=20
*my* address I should just accept it all and filter it locally?

That seems rather irresponsible to me,  ANy method which can help stop it=20
source appeaers on the face of it to be a better solution.

> Short of encasing your computer in=20
> concrete, there's no way to avoid getting spam **even if you never post to
> a mailing list**. =A0Either learn to deal with it or stop subscribing to
> lists.

I'm sure that attitude will appear welcoming to new users.

=2D-=20
Dave