Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 13:10:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   About 2.2 and mouse

Hello!

Ok, seeing as I have had friends trying to install 2.2-GAMMA and having
real problems with the mouse, I have a question:

Is mouse setup and handling fixed?

Last experiences:
"mouse setup" in sysinstall gives you a choise of port only.
"man moused" is basically not very informative, at all, since it's started
from the sysconfig paramters anyway, so you don't need to know anything
that's in that manpage, but you need to know what isn't in it. :-)

Mouse setup, I would hope, would give you a choise of mousetype, baudrate,
port, and the works, and then set that up in the sysconfig file (I wouldn't
think someone managed to get some autoprobing thing on that done, or?).
Also, there should be no mouse setup in "Xsetup" and "xf86config", as it
should default to mousesystems on /dev/sysmouse, etc. Am I completely off?

I had lots of info to help my friends, because I'm on these lists and read
the mouse setup problems people had in the beginning when moused was
introduced. It shouldn't take any knowledge from the users side, except the
knowledge of which hardware he has, and he should only need to say what
mouse he has, and where it is, and which bautrate to use, etc, and then both
console- and X-mouse handling should work. It should be set up in the
installtion process. Is this fixed, or will it be fixed? If not, there needs
to be some manpage, or help in sysinstall, or something, that tells you step
by step how to get everything working.

Second, the groups adding thingie in sysinstall is not yet implemented, it
says. It will be before release, or removed, I hope? Anything else just looks
bad.

Hmm... Anything else? .... Nope.

Waiting eagerly for the realease...
  /Mikael