Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 20:26:26 -0900 (AKST)
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ints

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Please don't go inventing your own terminology in order to prove
> yourself "right".  If you are responding to an interrupt, you are not
> "polling" as such.

hehe!  i'm not!  interrupts - in a pure form - implies random activity.
if i'm using interrupts under polled conditions - the interrupts are timed
- not random - how else can i distinguish ???  that was the whole point of
my question ...

> > MAY change - or DOES change ?  is it usually a circuit outside of CPU
> > concerns?  do INT status flags change EXACTLY as the condition is removed?
>
> "may" change.  If you really want the low-down on how much UART
> implementations vary, search the FreeBSD mailing list archives for
> mention of a program called COMTEST in a message from Frank Durda.
> Basically, there is very little that you can actually count on.

thanks - i'll check it out .. :)

> inactive to active.  It is the processor's responsibility to
> manipulate the peripheral so that the input goes inactive again.  If
> it fails to do so, there will be no more interrupts from it.  Finito.

hehe!  well - if things are so screwed up - you shouldn't be too angry
with me for being at a loss for the facts.  i couldn't find the "details"
in data sheets.  i thought things were more sane.

i sure appreciate all the time you took to assist me!