Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 08:21:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partitions

Duke Normandin wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 05, 2000 3:38 PM Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 07:59:53AM +0200, Frederik Meerwaldt wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Delete Windows as it's the biggest bullshit. Then just install FreeBSD and
> >> be happy (you can do everything with FreeBSD, which you can do with
> >> Windows. The difference is: faster, more stable, reliable...)
> >>
> >> Have fun.
> >
> >Not actually what was asked.  Moreover, this style (attacking Windows,
> >in an effort to prove FreeBSD better) does not differ much from the
> >methods used by some companies when they're spreading FUD.
> >
> >Apart from being offensive, do you have any *real* data to back up your
> >claims that:
> >
> >a) Windows is the biggest bullshit.
> >b) The specific user can "do everything with FreeBSD, which he/she can
> >   do with Windows".
> >
> >- Giorgos Keramidas
>
> Your advise to this list, when given, has always been polite and
> informative. Again, I compliment you on your restraint & tact, and
> wholeheartedly support your above statements. FBsd et al is(are) great.
> but _not_ the only useful (and painlessly installed) tools available.

I agree with your comments. I have yet to meet an OS that I can't find
fault with and the reverse is also true, i.e, I have yet to meet an OS
that doesn't have positive points. The real challenge is to recognize
when you are hitting a fault and have a choice. You can then run the
project in a positive environment and not waste time fitting it in to
a system where it is not effective. If you only run one OS, Murphy
will provide many opportunities for you to demonstrate a clueless
moment :). Running too many will dilute your skills and let Murphy pop
up again. Where the curves cross is based on personal skills such as
exposure and a photographic memory.

My last FreeBSD 3.4-S problem dealt with a 20GB HD. I couldn't mix 3.4
and Windows 2000/NT4/98. I couldn't add a 3rd partition after the
FreeBSD 3.4 slice without the BIOS declaring I had an illegal
partition. I installed 4.0 in one large 13GB slice, which was
compatible with W2K and the BIOS, but I couldn't build Code Crusader.
I have Code Crusader building now and I am back to an improved
situation over 3.4.

Have a good day,

Kent

> -duke