Date:      20 Nov 2001 16:00:26 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/shells/ksh93

naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) writes:

> Maybe the maintainer knows?  But hey, why ask the one guy most
> likely to know when you can instead address hundreds or thousands
> of people who probably don't?

Interesting.  And suprising to me, but I guess it makes some sense and
the ports section Handbook (4.3.2) does say to contact the maintainer
first, then write a PR.

Where do you think -questions and -ports should be mentioned in the
Handbook's list of ways to deal with seemingly broken ports, if
anywhere?  (They're not in there now.)

I think many people have an instinctive hesitation to bother a
maintainer or developer about things and interrupt their important work
and would rather bother other "users".  We forget that many (most?) read
these lists too.  Should the Handbook (and man pages?)  give people
warmer feelings about dealing directly with people, than with "the
system"?  But wasn't "the system" created to insulate you from direct
initial contact with users?