Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:38:48 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and suspend-to-disk

Ben Lovett wrote:

>I've already created the space needed for the partition (around 250MB),
>by running fips on the fat32 partition.  But, I would like to know what
>application I need to get that new partition "ready" for suspend to
>disk.. Or do I just need to assign it a certain partition id?

Leave the space unpartitioned and run 'phdisk /create /partition' after
booting your windows partition to DOS.

** WARNING **

On my old Insperon 3500, when the suspend-to-disk partition was placed
beyond 2G, bits of the disk would be trashed on suspend-to-disk! Maybe
they've fixed this, maybe they haven't. :-) Since Dells generally don't
come with a suspend-to-disk partition (they use a suspend file instead,
but that only works under DOS), it's probably unsupported to use the
partition (the option is there because they got it from Phoenix, their
BIOS supplier).