Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      root@james.brown-bird.com
To:        firewire@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: native firewire drives ever ?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> Just a general industry question - does anyone know if anyone is planning
> on introducing a native firewire IDE drive - that is, no IDE connector, no
> adaptor needed - just straight firewire drive ?

Probably not. As I understand it, IDE interface chips (those on the
drives, not the PC) are proven and dirt cheap and the software (drivers)
is relatively simple. 1394 hardware and drivers are more complicated. And
the biggest markets for disk drives - PC - all have IDE channels but not
many have 1394 ports.

Besides, 7200rpm ATA drives' max. transfer rates (43MB/s and growing) are
getting near the max 1394a transfe rates (~48MB/s)  Although multiple 1394
devices coexist on a bus much better than two ATA devices do...

Hey, anyone know if the workstation makers - Sun, HP, IBM - are
adopting 1394?

-James