Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:25:35 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange errors from BIND on FreeBSD 4.x system

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:39:17PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I'm working with a client's FreeBSD system (4.9 with patches) which
> is having trouble resolving certain domains but not others. When I
> try to execute the same queries using "dig", I see the error message
>
> res_nsend: Protocol not supported
>
> Via various search engines, I've seen hints that the problem may
> have something to do with IPV6 but no instructions as to how to
> resolve it. Can anyone explain what's wrong and how to fix it?

The nameserver you're trying to talk to has both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses,
dig is trying to use the IPv6 one, but failing because your host doesn't
have IPv6 connectivity.

Example:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns-pri.ripe.net.        166057  IN      A       193.0.0.195
ns-pri.ripe.net.        72477   IN      AAAA    2001:610:240:0:53::3

If you try "dig @ns-pri.ripe.net. ripe.net. soa" I suspect you will get this
error.

(Of course, this bug only happens because the IPv6 address is tried in
preference to IPv4 whenever this case occurs. Life would be much easier if
it tried IPv4 in preference to IPv6 - but then the IPv6 stack would never
get exercised at all. That would be a good thing IMO :-)

Solutions:

(1) try rebuilding the kernel with INET6 commented out. Or if it's commented
out now, try rebuilding with it back in. I can't remember which way round
caused the problem.

(2) otherwise, you could upgrade dig to a version from a newer version of
BIND, as ISTR this was fixed in the application.

So much for the IPv4-IPv6 transition being transparent to applications :-(

Regards,

Brian.