Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:46:34 -0500
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading a removable disk installation

Hi all,

I have a couple of systems that run from USB thumb sticks. These
machines run 6.2.

I'd like to do a typical source upgrade to 7.0 on a test machine.

To do this, I plug the USB disk into a 'host' machine, and to save space
on the thumb drive, I csup the sources to the standard locations on the
host machine.

My thumb drive 'OS' slice is mounted as /var/removable-os on the host
machine.

What I am unclear about is how I go about telling buildworld etc on the
host machine. that I want to install the updates to the
/var/removable-os location, instead of the default '/'.

I know how to do this with sysinstall, but I'm not sure if I need to put
an entry into /etc/make.conf, or use a command-line switch to get my
desired results.

Can someone please help clarify how I go about this?

Steve