Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:28:53 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD 3DNow instructions on FreeBSD

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 12:57:29PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Wilko Bulte wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
>  > On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 11:26:32PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > Does FeeBSD/Alpha run reliably on an AXPpci33 with Quantum
>  > > Fireball (SCSI)?
>  >
>  > Yes, no problem. My NoName is currently living with Marcel Moolenaar
>  > for X-build testing etc. Running -current FreeBSD. Works great, albeit
>  > slowly (21066 CPUs are just not fast).
>
> OK, thanks.  I know that it's not fast.  :-)
>
>  > If your NoName is the one with the broken PSU: any normal AT-style PSU
>  > will work.
>
> I don't have a "NoName" box.  I bought the AXPpci33 mainboard
> + 21066-166 and put it into a standard AT midi tower.  Spent
> $50 for the thing...  Yes, I know, it's not worth that much,
> but I just wanted to play around with AXP stuff.

The AXPpci33 == NoName. The board was sold to OEMs for inclusion in
whatever they liked. I think you confuse the NoName with the Multia
(which is also 21066). On the last 'HCC dagen' (in Utrecht, the Netherlands)
they were selling the last 166Mc boards for US$ 12 a piece ;-) No cache,
but new in the carton box.

> A few days ago, it suddenly performed a spontaneous shutdown
> and played dead.  The fuse in the power supply is OK, but even
> the light in the power switch (which is on the primary side of
> the transformer) is off.  Strange.

Duh.

--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org