Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:44:46 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "P.A.Osborne" <P.A.Osborne@ukc.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

> Sender: wes@softweyr.com
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:21:15 -0800
> From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>

> > I believe IBM is now using the ICH3 chipset which includes the Agre
> > (nee Lucent) AC'97 WinModem. This is a different beast from the older
> > Lucent WinModems and, unless something has recently changed, it is not
> > supported under FreeBSD with the ltmdm port.
> >
> > FWIW, under Windows, the new modem is vastly superior to my older
> > internal modem on my 600E. I get better data rates and more reliable
> > connections, but it does load the CPU quite a bit. Still, as little as
> > I use a modem, it would be fine if there was an available driver.
>
> Thanks for the update.  It might be worth checking to see if the new
> chipset is supported under Linux.  Porting the changes for the chipset
> to FreeBSD may be easier than porting the entire driver.

It is supported under Linux with a binary-only driver supplied by
Agre. Of course, this driver will not run under FreeBSD, so it will be
necessary to write shims similar to those in the ltmdm port. I believe
Watanabe-san was either working on these or he was posting information
from others working on them on his web page.

Because this modem is included in the very popular ICH sets, I am
hopeful that it won't take too much longer, but I don't have a clue
about Linux kernel modules, so I am not in a position to contribute
much to this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)