Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 06:52:19 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, nbm@mithrandr.moria.org, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults! (Was: Re: wats  so special about freeBSD?)

In message <4.3.2.7.2.20000921182152.046d6ee0@localhost>, Brett Glass
writes:
> At 04:40 PM 9/21/2000, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> >Brett, did it ever occur to you THESE ARE THE DEFAULTS because MOST PEOPLE
> >WANT THEM THAT WAY?  Most people who install FreeBSD just want telnet, mail,
> >and NFS to work,
>
> IMHO:
>
> Telnet is dangerous and should be disabled now that SSH is in common use
> and is not encumbered by patents. sshd should be on unless the user
> asks for it not to be. (He or she should still be asked.)

I submitted two awk scripts to this list late last week that disable
services in inetd that those of us who are paranoid would normally
remove.  Absolutely no one was interested.  For that matter I didn't
even receive a comment about the scripts from you.  Absolutely nobody
is interested in this issue.  The defaults are there because the
majority wants them there.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC