Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:37:01 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Ron Andreasen <dlanor78@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick (kinda) question

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:34:56AM -0700, Ron Andreasen wrote:
> One of the things I like best about the linux distros
> I've tried so far is that I can make a boot disk and
> boot linux from these disks.  That's important for me
> cause I have an ancient computer with a BIOS that
> gives me many problems when setting up a dual boot
> computer.  But I noticed during the install of FreeBSD
> that there was no option to create a boot disk, and
> even though I chose not to make changes to the MBR I
> found that I was unable to boot into windows.  That's
> okay though, cause I was smart enough to make backups
> of everything important.  I was wondering if there
> will ever be a way to boot FreeBSD from a floppy so
> that it never touches the MBR and never hurts my
> windows partition.

You can do this. I have done it for years. I have my FreeBSD
disk as my second drive, and windows as my first. When I
normally boot off the floppy, the "boot:" symbol comes up
and I simply type 1:ad(1,a)/kernel and away it goes.

Of course you have to change any references in /etc/fstat
if you are changing drive positions.

Checkout;
http://mirrors.voyager.net/FreeBSD/4.4-RELEASE/floppies/
and
http://crib.eecs.umich.edu/BootDisk.html

> I do plan on trying the install again and choosing the
> FreeBSD Boot Manager (I think that's what it was
> called).  I'm hoping that it will still allow me to
> boot windows and FreeBSD in spite of my BIOS problems.
>  Ideally I'd like to ditch windows all together, but
> I'm waiting for a specific program called Callwave to
> be written for the Linux/Unix/BSD platforms first.  So
> far only windows is supported and wine can't run it
> yet.  And there's absolutely no hope of running vmware
> on a computer this old :(
>
> Anyway, thanks for your time and I'll look forward to
> a response from you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ron

She is not refined.  She is not unrefined.  She keeps a parrot.
		-- Mark Twain