Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:32:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Makefile for OpenSSL not working

Greetings

I am running FreeBSD 3.3 Release (off of the CDROM) with the
34upgrade-2000.02.02 upgrade package on a laptop.
Even though I have manually ported openssl-0.9.5a.tar.gz into
/usr/ports/distfiles, I get the following error:

# make
>> .tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from http://www.openssl.org/source/.
fetch: .tar.gz: www.openssl.org: HTTP server returned error code 404
...snip
fetch: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Looks like the name of the port isn't being picked up somehow, the
Makefile fails to see that the source is in /usr/ports/distfiles and
requests to fetch "nothing" are failing.

Is the Makefile broken?

Pccard issues prevent me from installing 4.1 STABLE where OpenSSL is part
of the base system.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken Seggerman