Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:30:21 +0100
From:      Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MINUID in NIS Makefile

On Thursday 20 February 2003 16:17, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Feb 20), Antoine Jacoutot said:
> > Is there a way to use the MINUID and MINGID options in a NIS Makefile
> > or is it Linux only ?

> You'll have to tell us what those options mean before we can tell you
> whether there is an equivalent.

Of course, I'm sorry...
The MINUID and MINGID allow to create passwd.by* only with account which UID
are equal or higher than MINUID and group.by* only with groups which GID are
equal or higher than MINGID.
Extract from a Debian NIS Makefile:
# We do not put password entries with lower UIDs (the root and system
# entries) in the NIS password database, for security. MINUID is the
# lowest uid that will be included in the password maps.
# MINGID is the lowest gid that will be included in the group maps.

 You don't need to copy
> /var/yp/master.passwd to edit it; just make the change and run "make".

So I would change the original /etc/master.passwd ?????? Is that OK, it looks
like it's not.

Antoine