Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:32:22 -0500
From:      freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu
To:        "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade sources and kernel (was mergemaster)

On 13 Feb 2002 at 13:38, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> So should I reboot before installworld ? or make sure no one's on
> except my one login?

 This doesn't exactly cover the mergemaster thing, but this is the order
I've been using to update and compile/install new sources and kernel.

 Mergemaster is freaky the first time through, but once you understand
it's trying to copy all the new stuff over and not completely wipe out
your existing it begins to make sense. You likely know what files in /etc
for instance, you have manually edited so look for new entries and
decide if you need the updated version, etc.

What's a good way to upgrade my sources and kernel?
This has worked for me since FreeBSD 4.x

Rebuilding World/Kernel to Upgrade FreeBSD

-after full /usr/src cvsup
-assumes you already have configured custom kernel

(Reboot to Kern Security level -1)

cd /usr/obj

chflags -R noschg *

rm -rf *

cd /usr/src

(read UPDATING for relevant changes!)

make buildworld

make buildkernel KERNCONF=(KERNEL NAME)

make installkernel KERNCONF=(KERNEL NAME)

(reboot to single user)

fsck -p

mount -u /

mount -a

cd /usr/src

make installworld

(Remove existing /etc.old if there)

cp -Rp /etc /etc.old

mergemaster

cd /dev

/bin/sh MAKEDEV all

cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall

make clean

make all install

(Reboot)

I keep it online for reference, you can find it here:
http://scaryg.shacknet.nu/faq.php?topic=2

gf