Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 08:28:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GusPNP + 2.2.6 = static

> Hello .. tsia.  Upgraded to 2.2.6 today, built a new kernel with pcm0 and
> controller pnp0, finds GUS PnP okay, but cat somefile.au > /dev/audio1
> gives static.  Is there something I missed?

The way i configure the CODEC on the GUS (mode 1) seems to generate
incorrect behaviour with mu-law. I cannot tell if it is a bug in the
codec (it emulates a CS423x, and the latter work fine with my
configuration) or my fault -- in mode 3, i have reports
that mu-law works fine.

I thought I fixed the problem by setting the card in 8-but unsigned and
doing the conversion in software -- not a real fix since you have only
8-bit dynamic range instead of 13, but better than nothing...

I will check and fix it in the next days.

The OPTI931 has a similar problem (sort of, since there it only
appears in full duplex operation -- probably the ulaw<->linear
section is shared between the capture and playback section).

If you want to try it, look at what is done in ad1848.c -- mss_format():
probably the line

	if (d->bd_id == MD_OPTI931) {

should be changed to

	if (d->bd_id == MD_OPTI931 || d->bd_id == MD_GUSPNP) {

and that should suffice.

	cheers
	luigi