Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:29:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:13:51 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
>

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:51:28 -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > > I recently changed sysinstall (should be in 4.4-RELEASE when that comes
> > > out) to first ask whether the user wants to run inetd, and then if they
> > > say yes, asks if they'd like to edit inetd.conf.  Inetd.conf is now
> > > defaulted so that all services are disabled.
> >
> > The only problem with this is that it raises the bar for installation.
> > Now, people need to know how to drive a (possibly) unfamiliar text
> > editor to turn stuff on.
> >
> > Still, I like the direction you're moving in.  Ultimately, I think the
> > text editor idea should be an advanced option and changes to inetd.conf
> > (and whatever) should be possible with the UI.
>
> I agree with your observations--this is one reason I added some more
> commenting to inetd.conf to make it more clear what the user should do.
>
> Actually, I think the real problem here is the inetd.conf file format. It
> doesn't have an "in-band" way to disable services, all you can do is
> comment them out.  I'd like something more like /etc/ttys, where there's
> an "on/off" choice.  This lets a structured editor disable things in such
> a way that it can recognize when to enable them (and when it's just a
> comment).  Note the magic that is possible in Andrey's ttys editing code,
> but that is not possible in inetd.conf.
>
> Someone also later comments, in this thread, that we might make use of a
> better editor.  I agree that nano offers a lot of usability benefits, and
> wouldn't mind further investigation of options like that.  However, I'd
> rather have a semantics-rich configuration editor (such as with the
> ttys/console stuff) than a text editor, myself.

I am not completely sure if this is a good idea or not, but I'd through it in.
How about having two menu options here, after offering to edit inetd.conf:
for `experts' (manual editing) and for `beginners' (menu-driven
configuration).
The former one would bring up an editor (in this case it doesn't need to
be nano, it can be vi, or whatever).
The latter one would show a check-mark-type menu of services which could
be enabled, and a small script called upon exit from this menu
would write out /etc/inetd.conf
with the lines commented or uncommented based upon the choices made,
and a template of /etc/inetd.conf

Best,

Igor