From:      Matt Rohrer <rohrer@hawaii.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   can ping/traceroute, can't login/get web pages

I'm having an interesting problem with a remote server. I can ping and
traceroute to it with no problem (from several different locations),
but when I try to login using either ssh or telnet, I can connect, but
I get no login prompt. Apache is also accepting connections but not
serving pages. Any thoughts? I'd be happy to provide more info, just
let me know what you need.

# Edited output of ssh -v
mmr@tiwaz% ssh -l matt -v -x xxxxxxx.xxx.hawaii.edu
SSH Version 1.2.27 [i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.8], protocol version 1.5.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
tiwaz.xxxx.xxx: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
tiwaz.xxxx.xxx: ssh_connect: getuid 3134 geteuid 0 anon 0
tiwaz.xxxx.xxx: Connecting to xxxxxx.xxx.hawaii.edu [xxx.xxx.xx.x]
port 22.
tiwaz.xxxx.xxx: Allocated local port 1023.
tiwaz.xxxx.xxx: Connection established.
# wait for many seconds
^C
Received signal 2.