Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:12:37 +0000
From:      Michael Wells <michael@wells.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP kernel overheats

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback on the 'hot' SMP kernel. Although the machine in
question has been heavily loaded in the past (as someone pointed out,
why else have an SMP machine?), I've never seen these processors reach
70 celcius before. Under Linux, I would expect them to get to around 50
degrees during busy periods, but don't run distributed net clients, etc.
That would get things a little hotter. I've invested in coolers and feel
that the machine has adequate, if not exactly excellent cooling. There
are one or two constraints on this which I cannot control.

With that in mind, is it fair to ask for support of SMP systems to
change at some point to include the instructions to run the chips
cooler? I note the comment on temperature stability, but I think my
mileage is varying.

Regards
Michael