Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 16:13:16 -0700
From:      "Reginald S. Perry" <perry@zso.dec.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User PPP crash

Hi there. I am running -current with the 7/16/98 CAM patches on a
dual-processor P5 166MMX system. I installed the latest user ppp from
awfulhak because I was getting the following problem when connecting
to an NT RAS server using the MS Chap protocol:

Aug 28 14:39:07 trane ppp[5959]: tun0: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors ->
FCS: 0, ADDR: 0, COMD: 0, PROTO: 1

PPP would then crash with a SIGBUS. Using the new stuff didnt help,
but I did get the following stack trace:

(gdb) where
#0  0x200c2d88 in bcmp ()
#1  0xefbfe002 in ?? ()
#2  0x200708dd in AliasHandleResource ()
#3  0x200709f4 in AliasHandleUdpNbtNS ()
#4  0x2006f9b6 in InternetChecksum ()
#5  0x20070112 in PacketAliasIn ()
#6  0x18d25 in ip_Input ()
#7  0x17162 in hdlc_DecodePacket ()
#8  0x174ca in hdlc_Input ()
#9  0x1dd4 in async_Input ()
#10 0x22bc7 in modem_DescriptorRead ()
#11 0x108e4 in datalink_Read ()
#12 0x3274 in bundle_DescriptorRead ()
#13 0x206a5 in DoLoop ()
#14 0x20281 in main ()

The bad news is that turning on HDLC debugging seems to have made the
problem go away at the expense of slower transactions. Any clue as to
how to effectively debug/solve the problem would be greatly
appreciated.

-Reggie