Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:15:44 -0700
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *shudder* ready to try ppp again

Richard,

Assuming your modem works under FreeBSD it shouldn't be hard at all to
get ppp going.  I procrastinated for the longest time, but eventually I
tried it and it worked.

If I remember correctly I made sure tun was in the kernel.  Then I read
man 8 ppp, which might advise you to tinker with /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
Then I tried it using the term command then at then atdt*70,7674444
commands and it worked.

It wasn't really necessary for me to tinker with ppp.conf, because ppp
lets you set all that stuff manually, via setting variables and using
the term command (maybe it worked better for me because my ISP supports
old-fashioned unix-style login in addition to pap/chap).  But it does
make it a lot easier.  I think I just changed papchap: to pacbell: (my
ISP) and entered the phone number, userid and password.

It turned out to be one of the easiest things I ever did with FreeBSD!

Greg