Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:54:24 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chown on mountpoints

j mckitrick wrote:

> I am using rc.local to run sysctl to allow user mount/unmount of
> filesystems.  I also chown the mountpoints.  Why is this necessary with
> every reboot?   I would think the chown would be permanent.

What are the mountpoints?  I wouldn't think it would be needed on
every reboot.  It's not just after every buildworld, and you happen to
only reboot for that? :-) Buildworld resets permissions on standard
directories to their defaults, but that doesn't happen on every reboot.

Also, you are chowning the mountpoints before anything's mounted there,
aren't you?  If not, the change will be in the mounted system, not the
filesystem where the mountpoints are located.  (Either way though, I
don't see why the changes would get lost.)

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /