Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:07:20 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Are submissions to add drives to /etc/disktab welcome?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 11:52:04AM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:
>Alan E wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to add my Maxtor 80 and 160 gig drives. It might even be
>> possible to script the add based on reading the current (synthetic)
>> disktab for the numbers, and the /var/run/dmesg for the Manufacturer,
>> model, and interface type (ESDI == ATAPI, SCSI).
>
>I don't think FreeBSD uses the disktab for HDDs.  The only thing I think
>disktab is used for is "stupid" devices (like floppies and zip disks)
>that don't report their own geometry.

Aha. So the completeness of the informational-only fields is really of
no consequence. However, it would be nice to be able to give the command
"disklabel ad4" and actually see the filesystem table like I can on ad6.
I suspect that type=ESDI may be sufficient to make that happen.

Is there any point in writing a disklabel onto a drive that has no
disklabel, since the kernel can synthesize one for operational purposes?

I should note that there is nothing wrong with my system whatsoever;
this is just curiosity about completeness of the information presented
by the disklabel command.

--
AlanE
KDE-FreeBSD Team