Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:32:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex Zepeda)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32bitsOnline comparison of BSD v. GPL

> Uh, stop trying to figure out what I'm thinking of, cause what I'm
> thinking of is RFC2396:
>            Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax
> [...]
> Abstract
>
>    A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact string of characters
>    for identifying an abstract or physical resource.  This document
>    defines the generic syntax of URI, including both absolute and
>    relative forms, and guidelines for their use; it revises and replaces
>    the generic definitions in RFC 1738 and RFC 1808.
> [...]

Read down to section 3.3:

|    The path component contains data, specific to the authority (or the
|    scheme if there is no authority component), identifying the resource
|    within the scope of that scheme and authority.
|
|       path          = [ abs_path | opaque_part ]
|
|       path_segments = segment *( "/" segment )
|       segment       = *pchar *( ";" param )
|       param         = *pchar

|       pchar         = unreserved | escaped |
|                       ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" | "$" | ","
|
|    The path may consist of a sequence of path segments separated by a
|    single slash "/" character.  Within a path segment, the characters
|    "/", ";", "=", and "?" are reserved.  Each path segment may include a
|    sequence of parameters, indicated by the semicolon ";" character.
|    The parameters are not significant to the parsing of relative
|    references.

You could argue for a %26 encoding for the Ampersand, but since it's
US ASCII, and it's not part of a {Registry|Server}-based Naming
Authority syntactic element, it's a pretty useless point of contention
(the original "&amp;" encoding is still broken for standards compliant
browsers).

It sounds more like you are defending a cut an paste from a
"Location:" display field.  8-).

> > BTW, it's spelled 'superseded'.
>
> Yes massah.

Actually, it's spelled "Updates".  8-).