Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:00:01 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        <allenh@wtrt.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: need help with samba and win95

While this is, strictly, a Win'95 question and not a FreeBSD one, I'll try to
help in what little way I can....

>From your description, it sounds like the network doesn't have (or, at any
rate, the Win'95 box can't see) a browse master.  Typically a Windows NT
server or a box running "real" WINS will be the master browser for a segment.

Try right-clicking Network Neighborhood and selecting Properties.  If you've
got "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" at the bottom of the
installed components list, double click it.  You'll see a list of properties.
 Set "Browse Master" to "Enabled", Apply and (when asked) reboot.  Should
work.

(You'll need to have File and Printer sharing enabled on the Win'95 box to do
this.)

In the Samba distribution there's a file called "BROWSING.TXT", refer there
for more help if this doesn't cut it.

...sjs...

=====
I have a box running 2.1.5-Release, and am installing Samba on it.  When
trying to "see" this box from a win95 client, I have the following problem.

  When I open network neighborhood, the only entry is "entire network".
When I double click "entire network", I am greeted with the error message
"unable to browse network".

I can right click network neighborhood, select find computer, type in the
host name, and it will find the box.  I can then double click the host name
and get the list of shares.

I have been working with the smb.conf file, and have spent time with the
man pages and the samba web pages, but I can't seem to resolve this
problem.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen Hyer
System Administrator