Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:09:05 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dgason@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jaz drives, booting from one?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 03:01:56PM -0500, dgason@mindspring.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking about completely reconfiguring my system. I am considering purchasing an internal SCSI Jaz drive and modifying my system so the Jaz drive becomes my boot drive. It is then my hope to be able to change operating systems by changing Jaz disks.
>
> My questions are:
> FreeBSD supposedly supports Jaz drives, does anyone have experience with them? If so, how easy are the SCSI ones to get working with FreeBSD?

They are treated pretty much like any other SCSI HDD except for the
fact its removable (you don't need to boot with it in place or use
camcontrol(8) to discover a swapped disk).

> Can you boot FreeBSD from a Jaz drive? (according to Iomega you can boot NT from a Jaz drive...)

Sure, why not? FreeBSD would not care. Any problems you might have are
more likely to be with the PC BIOS and the SCSI card BIOS.

> Does anyone see any major flaws with this concept?

I've often thought about doing it, but I _hate_ to reboot my
machines so I don't think I'd use it much. :)