Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:16:13 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot messages (Was: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?)

At 12:44 PM 2/16/97 +1100, Giles Lean wrote:
>When everything works, it is quite pretty.  Syslog messages to the
>console and anything that talks directly to /dev/tty make a mess of
>it.  A "splash screen" is really going to have to be graphical to work
>reliably.

How difficult early is it possible to switch to another vty?  If this is
possible to do real early, we can have a splash screen on the second vty,
and "knowledgable people" will know they can switch back with ALT-F1.
All screens should be cleared on finished boot, of course, unless the
system is set up to boot directly to xdm.

>Does anyone have a nice banner for xdm with the FreeBSD logo?  This is
>another way to present a more "professional" appearance with low
>impact to the existing code.

I'd rather have a new banner/logo on the front web page.  The rest of the
graphics and pages are OK, but IMO the logo on the front page is ugly.
Compare this to the 'slickness' of the BSDi-pages, and you'll see that they
make a much better first impression.

But, of course, both changes are good :)

Eivind Eklund  perhaps@yes.no  http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/
eivind@freebsd.org