Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 17:15:04 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        "David Kutcher" <david_kutcher@hotmail.com>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to configure with ssh-chrootmgr

Please followup to -questions, this is off topic for -security.

Are you sure you're running the OpenSSH ssh daemon on your system?
ssh-chrootmgr is typically part of the ssh.com product, not OpenSSH.

To find out, type this command on your system

# telnet 127.0.0.1 22

At that point you'll be greeted by a version banner, which will identify
your system as either OpenSSH or ssh.com.  Mine says (OpenSSH) for example

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_2.3.0 FreeBSD localisations 20011202

A quick groups.google.com search brings up recent discussions on chrooting
ssh logins, both with ssh.com and OpenSSH products.  I suggest you look
there in greater detail.

At 05:42 PM 1/6/2002 -0500, David Kutcher wrote:
>I'm trying to restrict users who log in through SSH to their
>/home/username directory only.  I have SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 installed
>on my machine.
>
>using the command:
>
>root# ssh-chrootmgr username1
>
>I get the error:
>
>/usr/local/bin/ssh-chrootmgr: 103: Syntax error: Bad fd number
>
>I've checked groups.google.com, no help.  Nothing on ssh.com's pages
>either except for the instructions on how to install and use it at
><http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/administrator30/Using_Chroot_Manager__ssh-chrootmgr_.html>http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/administrator30/Using_Chroot_Manager__ssh-chrootmgr_.html
>
>Any help would be appreciated!
>
>-David

--chris