Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:53:27 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tell the user we're booting

On Oct 7, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Devin Teske wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I'd like to propose a small (tiny even) patch to =
sys/boot/forth/loader.4th
>=20
> Said patch will echo "Booting=85" before invoking the kernel.
>=20
> This patch would effect every architecture (even those that don't use =
the beastie menu).
>=20
> The reason for proposing this tiny change is that as of 9.0-R I've =
noticed a significant lag between executing "boot" and getting something =
on-screen to show that something is happening.

	This is probably the memory test (set "hw.memtest.tests" to "0" =
in loader.conf and see if that speeds things up). Regardless, I think =
it'd be a good thing to have.
Thanks!
-Garrett

PS Got patch?=