Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:22:03 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Dib, Allan L" <Dib.Allan.L@edumail.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to configure NTP on FreeBSD server and Linux clients

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 04:22:22PM +1100, Dib, Allan L wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Can anyone clue me in on where to find some (detailed) info on installing and
> configuring NTP on a FreeBSD 4.1.1 box and several *nix workstations. A search
> on the FreeBSD site didn't yeild anything relevant.
>
> Thanks......

Installing NTP on a FreeBSD is easy since you don't have to. It is
part of the base system. An NTP daemon comes standard with many
UNIX-type OS flavors (also sometimes called xntpd). As for configuring
it, see the ntpd(8) and ntp.conf(5) manpages. If this machine will
just be a "client," that is, it will get the time from higher strata
servers, an NTP configuration like,

  #
  # ntp.conf
  #

  server ntp1.server.somewhere.org
  server ntp2.server.elsewhere.org
  server ntp3.server.widewhere.org

  # I don't like the drift file in /etc
  driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift

Should be enough. You can then just start the daemon by typing, 'ntpd',
at the command line. To have it start on boot add,

  ntpd_enable="YES"

To rc.conf.

As for choosing your NTP servers and more on how NTP works, this is a
good starting place,

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/