Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:03:12 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        daved@nostrum.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

David J Duchscher wrote:
> It seems that the use of invalid characters in hostnames is cropping
> up more and more.  Besides complaining to the offending site which
> often doesn't work, I was wondering if these restrictions on FreeBSD
> should be re-examined.  At this time, it seems that many OSes are no
> longer enforcing this requirement or never have.  In my case, I am
> running into a hostnames with an underscore character in the name.  It
> seems that Linux, MacOS X, Solaris and Windows all allow this hostname
> to resolve but FreeBSD, as well as the other *BSD, reject it.  Should
> FreeBSD follow suit?

Welcome to DNSINT.

Specifically, restrictions were relaxed on the root level servers;
this was generally announced about a month ago.  All data is 8-bit
now, but not all DNS servers can handle it (e.g. try putting a tab
or space or whatever in a zone name, which is now legal).

The root servers were mostly switched over to totally different
software from bind.  8-(.

The specific reasons were for support of Big5 due to increased
political pressure coming from China.  See the ICANN web site
for details.

Personally, I think it's to make it harder to cut-and-paste
domain names from SPAM to find the responsible party (chars
in Big5 don't go over very well in ISO 8859-1, and end up
being shell escapes, etc.).

The answer is that it will have to be supported when DNSINT is
supported (but nit until then; significant resolver library
changes, which are not easy, are required, etc.).

It's probably not very useful to talk about doing this until
local caching-only name servers on border servers are capable
of handling the 8-bit, as well.  For the RFC's that FreeBSD
currently complies with, it's right to be strict about this.

Mostly it's still about domain name speculation, and, IMO,
will be for a while.  I'd say it's about as widely adopted as
IPv6 -- which is to say: not very.

PS: I was on the DNSINT IETF working group for a while, FWIW.

-- Terry