Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:59:09 -0500
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To:        David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD/Linux 'distribution'

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 02:34:10PM -0600, David Welton wrote:

> Basically, what I wanted to know was not particularly whether it was a
> good or bad idea (I'm not particularly interested in it myself), but
> what sort of reaction peole might have - if they would see us as
> 'hijacking' their work.

I'm a fan of the GPL in some senses, as I believe that in today's greed-
ridden world, the guarantee that distributed improvements to code be them-
selves distributed is good.

The BSD license doesn't guarantee this - it allows for code to become
proprietary. This is a desired goal amongst most folks who want to use the
BSD license, and I can't imagine them having a problem with whatever is
done with the code, short of changing the license or copyright.

> The distribution would hypothetically be named Debian GNU/FreeBSD or
> something like that, and we would obviously give back anything good we
> happened to create.

But, then, the license wouldn't require that you do that.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped