Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH port forwarding SNMP traps?

On 2002-08-29, Paul Jansen scribbled:

# I'm trying to allow SNMP traps to get to a management
# station on the other side of a firewall (that I have
# no say in).  I can create an SSH connection to a a
# particular host inside the firewall on port 22 though.
#  What I was thinking of doing was SSH'ing to that
# machine and forwarding a local port to the required
# port on the management station inside the firewall.  I
# thought this was port 162 but when I try and send the
# test trap I don't receive anything in the management
# console.  Can anyone offer any help here?

According to:

http://www.rad.com/networks/1995/snmp/snmp.htm

SNMP works over UDP rather than TCP and I'm believe that SSH is only
able to forward TCP data but not UDP.

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org