Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:10:18 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        vanhu_bsd@zeninc.net, Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NAT-T patch integration [CFR/CFT]

Sam Leffler wrote:
> Larry Baird wrote:
>>> And how do I know that it works ?
>>> Well, when it doesn't work, I do know it, quite quickly most of the
>>> time !
>>>
>> I have to chime in here.  I did most of the initial porting of the
>> NAT-T patches from Kame IPSec to FAST_IPSEC.  I did look at every
>> line of code during this process.  I found no security problems during
>> the port.  Like Yvan, my company uses the NAT-T patches commercially.
>> Like he says, if it had problems, we would hear about it.  If the
>> patches
>> don't get commited, I highly suspect Yvan or myself would try to keep
>> the
>> patches up todate.  So far I have done FAST_IPSEC pacthes for FreeBSD
>> 4,5,6.  Yvan did 7 and 8 by himself.  Keeping up gets to be a pain
>> after a while.  I do plan to look at the FreeBSD 7 patches soon, but
>> it sure would be nice
>> to see it commited.

Please test/review the following patch against HEAD:

http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/nat_t-20080616.patch

This adds only the kernel portion of the NAT-T support; you must provide
the user-level code from another place.

The main difference from the patches floating around are in the
ctloutput path (adding proper locking for HEAD) and decap of ESP-in-UDP
frames.  Assuming folks are ok w/ these changes I'll commit to HEAD.
Once this stuff goes in we can look at getting the user-mode mods into
the tree.

    Sam

PS. Thanks especially to Matthew Grooms who tested an earlier version
and fixed a bug.