Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 13:28:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        Ben Black <black@squid.gage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: de ethernet driver stomps SMC 10/100

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, Ben Black wrote:

> the new chipset is the DEC 21140-A instead of the DEC 21140.  though they
> are in the same family, the two are not driver compatible.  the SMC cards
> with the 21140-A chip is generally labelled SMC EtherPower 10/100 B (the B is
> the important part).  i just got 5 new P6 machines with the B series and
> they are useless to me.

Well, I'm kind of in the same boat -- maybe.  I am just no trying to bring
up my first FreeBSD system.  I have a recently purchased SMC9332 10/100
card.  Nothing on my box or docu states it is a "B" version.  I've tried
just about all of the different configurations suggested in the FreeBSD
DOCS cd I could find, but to no avail.  I figured I was missing some
important step in the process.  I put the "device de0" line in the kernel
(and got a clean compile and install), then did the "ifconfig de0 init ...
" command (with and without the -line2).  As soon as I did that, the
WebRamp light for that line went out and has stayed out.

What I was *going* to ask (and still am) is for someone who is using the
SMC9332 to please send me the exact steps they used to get it configured
and running from scratch.  Most of the messages in the DOCS cd answer
specific questions, but none I saw had the complete steps.  *I* might be
missing something.

Here's what I've done so far:

*  configured the WebRamp hub/router (via a win95 box -- also using a
SMC9332 card) so it knows all of the ip addresses in question (only three
at this time)

*  commented out all of the ethernet related lines in the GENERIC
configuration except de0

*  added the above ip address info to the /etc/hosts file

*  compiled and installed the new kernel (with the requisite reboot to
make it active)

*  executed the command: ifconfig de0 inet 205.182.92.2 netmask
255.255.255.0 (with and without '-link2' added at the end)

It is my assumption (I know, dangerous word) that I should now be 'up.'
But, as I said earlier, as soon as I started using de0, the link light on
the WebRamp for this box goes out.  When I was using ed0 (due to
misreading one of the first messages I checked) the light stayed on.

So...  Am I 1) missing something, 2) doing something wrong, or 3)
suffering from the same problem as above?

I don't mind reading, but if your response is 'rtfm' then please include
which 'fm' and which passage(s) of said 'fm.'  I've been 'rt'ing' for the
past week without finding the answer (or at least I didn't *think* I
found it).

Thanks muchly...

Lee